Sunday, June 7, 2009

Is a Motel a Hotel? Who Knows?

This was Marilyn’s first trip to Mexico. It’d been eight years since I was there and things had changed. The traffic is terrible any where within a hundred miles of Mexico City. We are in it three days, and as usual it rained every afternoon. That keeps the pollution down but makes the sidewalks slippery. Fourth day, rain, and next morning my Dwarf snarls, Get us out of here before the dog and I go blind. So, I head over the mountains to Cholula. We take a room in the Motel El Solar.

I should have suspected something when we drove into the court and a woman raced out, pointing to a vacant car port, yelling for me to pull in. Once I did she slid the curtain closed to hide our truck from view. Oh, the bed had a mirror running its full length. We brought Lobo in and he liked it so we decided to stay. Even when the proprietor said we did not need a key, we figured we had the dog and so all was well. We carried everything with us in the truck anyway.

The valley is beautiful and interesting. There are over 100 churches, some 400 years old. A lot of artisan villages, good food and great milk shakes. Also a fax pyramid with a ancient church on top inhabited by a witch who can cast spells and correct birth imperfections. a few miles away is the largest pyramid known to man, but since the one in Cholula was a tourist stop for the 1968 Olympics, the one in Atlixco is off limits for diggings. But it’s there and overwhelming when you see it for the first time.

Our first morning I stepped out and there were all four snow covered volcanoes! You never see all of them at the same time. I picked a bouquet of roses and went in to get Marilyn. We had a cup of coffee sitting outside admiring the 2nd, 3rd and 4th highest peaks in North America. The manager and wife stood at the office doorway in total befuddlement. I went over and paid for two more days, he petted Lobo, and muttered something I couldn’t pick up. We were gone all day each day for the reminder of our stay. We came back late at night. Every carport was covered. Next morning we were the only occupants. Strange? I didn’t give it a thought until I was leaving. The manager came to us and in good English said how happy he was we stayed. ‘ You and your wife made us look legitimate again.’ I frowned, then the reality dawned! We were residing in a hotel where rooms were rented by frequent fliers! Well, actually it was a No-Tell-Motel whose only tenets were short stays. Oh well, that’s how it goes.

However, it was a very safe place. There were 24 hour armed guards and the rooms were spic and span. Sheets changed every morning, and the price was good. So guess what? We started using Motels every now and then, like late at night after following a bus for miles and seeing nothing. One does not drive at night in Mexico. I liked the one near Vera Cruz best...A round bed, mirrored ceiling, mirrored walls, Mi Corazon music over a good hi fi system. Great shower! Room for four! And air conditioned to the hilt. Needed a blanket! The door had a little slot through which drinks and meals could be served and maintain one’s anonymity . When the manger confronted me and I told her we were there for the whole night and Lobo was staying in side, she demanded double! Still more than reasonable. I told her the dog stayed no matter what she claimed. They turned the air con off at 5AM. In fifteen minutes we were all panting. We cleared out and headed back toward Gringo Heaven trying to out race the arrival of a hurricane threatening the Texas coast.

I am going to begin interspersing TRAVELS with THOSE YOU MEET ALONG THE WAY. I hope you enjoy them as much as we have . . .did and . . . WILL.

No comments: